Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Regarding a few comments made on the "a few questions" post.


You obviously take more of an "originalist" approach to the Constitution. That statements about freedoms of the press, religion, to assemble, etc... still carry the same meaning today as it did then. I suppose you believe the right to bear arms is only applicable when in a state run militia.
I do not think the writers intended for people take the document and use it as justification to preach, "Thank god for dead soldiers", "Thank god for 9/11", and "Thank god for IED's".


I look at the Constitution as more of a "living one", where the meaning changes according to the times. These days, the right to bear arms can be exercised without being a part of a state militia. Because that part is not applicable at this point in time.


I do not think this is what the writers had meant at the time, nor was it their intent. At the time, gaining these freedoms was very important, because it was what they officially lacked. Now, some restraint must be exercised; if only for the well being of the families of the fallen. There are times when protesters are restricted from being in certain locations, or from being within a certain distance of something or someone. Protesters at Presidential addresses or appearances are kept a certain distance away. I believe this is a case where the same type of restriction should be used. Some states have already enacted legislation that keeps protesters at variable distance from the funeral sevices; now there is a push in the federal government to keep these people upwards of 500 ft away from the services.


I do love freedom and America, I would sacrifice my life to keep the freedoms that we have enjoy; I would however not want my family to be exposed to this type of exercise of freedom, especially since I may have died for them to have these freedoms. I would want some restrictions in place to keep my grieving family from witnessing that.


Mr. Valla and Sphere, do you two thank god dead soldiers?

No comments: